The original nucleus of the villa dates back to 1435 and was property of Giovanni Mugiasca, a rich merchant from Como. It was a simple farmhouse that was fitted out as a lazaretto during the great plague that struck Europe in the 17th century. The building was enlarged in 1700 and handed down to the hospital of S. Anna of Como, which, in turn, ceded it to Archduke Rainer of Augsburg, viceroy of the Lombardo-Venetian kingdom. It was acquired twenty years later by a rich Parisian noblewoman who embellished it with oriental-style décor elements and furnishings and painted the façade pink. Today the villa is owned by the Volpi Bassani family. The vast English style garden extends along the promontory of the Pizzo in direction of Moltrasio.